Saturday, September 5, 2009

9/6 Saturday

Dinner:

Pulled pork barbecue sandwiches using the leftover pork loin from last night, plus:

Hayride Kitchen Bean Soup - a family recipe from my mother-in-law

1 can white navy beans

2 cans pinto beans

2 cans Campbell's Bean and Bacon soup

2 cans chopped ham or leftover ham bone

1 large onion, chopped

1/2 large bell pepper, chopped

1 C water


Chop onions and peppers, saute in a little bit of olive oil for a few minutes in a large soup pot. Add all other ingredients. Cut up ham and add. Cook for at least 2 hours (on medium if using crockpot).


Modifications I made: used 2 ham hocks from the grocery store, cooked it in a large Le Creuset dutch oven over medium for half an hour, then turned it down to low to simmer for another hour.


How was it? Excellent! I have always loved Bean & Bacon soup, so I was eager to try this one. It would be great on a cold day with some nice buttery cornbread. It is also nice and cheap to make if you can get store brand beans on some kind of buy one get one free special. Rich said it was "not too bad" which is about as much as I can ask for from him since he is not a big fan of soup or onions.


1 comment:

  1. just now catching up on the kitchen blog.....nice to know you used a mother-in-law recipe! however, don't know if I have ever actually made it myself! must have come from someone in the family.....maybe the Hughes Family Cookbook. I am loving your blog. You are so creative and fun - you need your own "Paula Dean" type show!

    ReplyDelete